Warning. Cloning this item will not retain its parent-child relationship.
By: Alan Bewley30th May 2018 11:02AMThe Royal George Hotel stood on the northwest corner of the Moray Place and George Street intersection in central Dunedin. The hotel was in business by at least early 1861 taking advantage of being the (then) first hotel through the new Bell Hill cutting and its proximity to the original location of the Dunedin hospital in George Street. The Royal George ceased trading in 1894, all furniture and fittings were auctioned off and the hotel was demolished in 1895. In August of 1895 an architect engaged by long time Dunedin confectioner and pastrycook Edward Aldred was calling for tenders for construction of a brick two story plus basement bakehouse, stores and dwelling on the site of the former Royal George Hotel. The new building became "Bewley's Hygienic Bakery and Tearooms" when Ed Aldred retired and sold the business to his wife's nephew, George Bewley, in 1906.
loading google map....
Hocken Snapshop (27th May 2018). Library card. In Website Hocken Snapshop. Retrieved 18th Apr 2021 21:06, from https://hocken.recollect.co.nz/nodes/view/6741