Conditions of use and copying
You are welcome to use any of the images on this site for your:
- personal study
- unpublished research
- classroom and distance teaching
- review and criticism
You are also welcome to use any images that are out of copyright in:
- social media (share)
- non-commercial websites (e.g. sites of local history groups and not-for-profit organisations)
- digital slide presentations (e.g. PowerPoint)
Further to this you are welcome to use most of the out of copyright images made available on this site for any purpose including publication, without getting a high resolution image or permission from Hocken Collections. We have indicated this within the Conditions of Use and Copying information which displays as part of each objects metadata.
For further information and conditions of use for these images please refer to the No known restrictions on use section of this page.
You may notice that for some of the images on this site which are out of copyright we have not included that statement as part of the objects metadata. For further information on this see Why are some of the images on this site not good quality section of this page.
All high quality images on this site are authentic copies that retain the integrity of the original. We prefer that you do not crop or recolour (or overprint) but if you do, please add ‘[detail]’ or ‘[enhanced]’ to the citation line. Citation information regarding details of the reference number, title and creator (where known) appears with the images on this site. Please acknowledge Hocken Collections, Uare Taoka o Hākena, University of Otago as the source in all uses of these images.
We ask that, in addition to normal copyright and privacy considerations, users of our heritage resources uphold the mana and dignity of the people, communities and places depicted within. Māori images have special significance and we ask users to treat these images with respect.
If you want to:
- use images which are still in copyright
- you want a high-quality copy of any images on this site for any purpose
- refer to our Reproduction and copying terms and conditions and Price list for information about our services, copyright conditions and fees
- contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org or see the Contact information to talk to a specific section of the Hocken
- you can also use the ‘contact us’ function available on search results pages within this site
For print or online publications (excluding blogs and non-commercial web pages), public display or commercial use, the Hocken Collections will supply a high-resolution digital format file. You will need to:
- obtain permission of the Hocken for publication, or commercial use of the image
- obtain the written permission of the copyright holder where a work is still in copyright
- place an order to purchase the high-resolution file
In addition to a supply fee (the charge for the provision of a high-resolution image), use of any of these images for commercial purposes may also incur a reproduction fee.
Activities deemed ‘Commercial Use’ include: advertising publicity and products including book covers, cards, tea-towels, calendars, and other merchandise; logos; television, film or video; company or for-profit websites; business use; and decoration and display in commercial premises such as hotels, bars, supermarkets and cafés.
Please refer to our Reproduction and copying terms and conditions and Price list for information about our services, copyright conditions and fees.
Requests for images for publication or commercial use should be made to email@example.com or see the Contact information to send to a specific section of the Hocken if you know which collection the item(s) come from.
Where material is still under copyright the responsibility for obtaining permission to reproduce that image lies with the applicant/user. Provision of high resolutions scans of in copyright can not be supplied with out the copyright holders permission.
We recommend these resources for more information:
These items are, to the best of the Hocken Collections' knowledge:
- out of copyright under New Zealand copyright law
- have no known cultural sensitivities
- the quality of the access derivative made available on this site is such that the image can be used for any purpose
Conditions of use
Permission to use such items for any purpose therefore, including publishing and uploading to Wikimedia Commons, is not required from the Hocken, however, we prefer the following be adhered to:
- retain the integrity of the image (i.e. do not crop, recolour or overprint)
- include a citation with the title, reference number and creator (in those instances where this information is supplied in the image metadata)
- please acknowledge Hocken Collections, Uare Taoka o Hākena, University of Otago as the source in all uses of these images
- Hocken does not endorse or support the derogatory use of any item from its collections
- re-publishing of an item does not create a new copyright in this item
- information about how to cite items from the Hocken Collections can be found in our referencing guide
If you do require a high resolution copy for any purpose however, please refer to Information on ordering reproductions for publication or commercial use.
Digital imaging of the Hocken’s collections started in the early 2000s and there have been huge and ongoing improvements in digital copying technology since that time. Some of the earlier digitised images of collection items are not of great quality and are not suitable for reproduction in publications or for commercial products. For other uses please refer to Use and re-use of images on this site.
These images are slowly being replaced with higher-quality images and we are very happy to create a high-resolution copy for you if you do require it. Please refer to Information on ordering reproductions for publication or commercial use.