70479
Rehabilitation League NZ Inc., Dunedin Branch : Records
Details
Reference Number91-002Date1938-1990CreatorRehabilitation League NZ Incorporated, Dunedin BranchDescriptionThis collection includes minutes, correspondence, reports, subject files, newsletters, clippings books, photographs, and other records. Only a small part of the collection is digitised and available through Digital Collections. Information about other items can be found on the Hākena catalogue, through the Library Catalogues link above.History / BiographyIn 1930, an Act of Parliament set up the Soldiers' Civil Re-Establishment League. A national, semi-autonomous body, its district committees were empowered to make arrangements with employers for the employment of disabled soldiers, to establish and carry on schemes for vocational training of disabled soldiers, and to make payments to disabled soldiers to supplement their earnings in employment. The district committees were made up of representatives from Government, the Returned Services' Association, employers'organisations, trade and labour councils, the Red Cross, and Patriotic Fund societies.
The first Dunedin workshop opened in Princes Street South in 1933. and in 1935 it moved to a larger building off a back alley next to Speight’s Brewery. The League opened its own shop in George Street. Items were produced under the name Disabled Soldiers Products. They included suitcases, furniture, footwear, umbrellas, fishing nets, and many other items.
From 1939, all ex-members of the forces with disability became eligible for assistance.
The name of the organisation changed to the Disabled Servicemen’s Rehabilitation League in 1941. It became the agent of the Rehabilitation Board for the training and re-establishment of the veterans of the Second World War. This meant that, after discharge, servicemen could learn a trade such as basket marketing, carpentry and joinery, or cabinet making, and could apply for Government loans to rehabilitate themselves. If they were found not capable of that, then positions in sheltered workshops were found for them where they could apply their skills to produce a wide range of goods for sale. The League was also appointed the agent to control and manage the making of artificial limbs.
The government funded the building of new vocational training centre. At Dunedin this including workshops, stores, offices, a showroom, and a bowling green. The buildings in Anzac Avenue officially opened on 24 May 1944.
In 1969, the government requested the reorganisation of the League. Renamed the Disabled Re-establishment League, it became responsible for the vocational assessment and rehabilitation of all people with disability. Sheltered workshops disappeared and funding for rehabilitation programmes came from Government.
The organisation was again renamed in 1974, becoming Rehabilitation League NZ Inc.
As of 1975, the Dunedin centre comprised a staff of 60, including executive, professional, technical, supervisory, and trades personnel. The League provided full vocational assessments and aptitude tests. The remedial section provided physical education, reading, and basic education. For work experience there were facilities for printing, bookbinding, leatherwork, suitcase manufacturing, blind roller manufacturing, net making, radio-telephone operating, general assembly, umbrella manufacturing, cafeteria work, janitorial and store work, stock control, office work, horticulture, heavy manual work, metal pressing, and welding.
Most trainees were men but the number of women was gradually increased. The scope of the organisation expanded to others who were vocationally disadvantaged, including the recent school leavers and refugees.
The Anderson Report (1984) led to Government reform of rehabilitation services, with a shift towards training and support in the mainstream workforce. It was resolved that assessment services should be separate from training. Most of the old League operations were phased out and what remained was restructured as Workbridge, a workplace brokerage service responsible for ensuring the availability of support and training for people with intellectual and physical disability. The workshops were shut down. Dunedin’s closed on 31 August 1990 with 43 staff losing their jobs, and six others appointed to positions in the new structure.
The first Dunedin workshop opened in Princes Street South in 1933. and in 1935 it moved to a larger building off a back alley next to Speight’s Brewery. The League opened its own shop in George Street. Items were produced under the name Disabled Soldiers Products. They included suitcases, furniture, footwear, umbrellas, fishing nets, and many other items.
From 1939, all ex-members of the forces with disability became eligible for assistance.
The name of the organisation changed to the Disabled Servicemen’s Rehabilitation League in 1941. It became the agent of the Rehabilitation Board for the training and re-establishment of the veterans of the Second World War. This meant that, after discharge, servicemen could learn a trade such as basket marketing, carpentry and joinery, or cabinet making, and could apply for Government loans to rehabilitate themselves. If they were found not capable of that, then positions in sheltered workshops were found for them where they could apply their skills to produce a wide range of goods for sale. The League was also appointed the agent to control and manage the making of artificial limbs.
The government funded the building of new vocational training centre. At Dunedin this including workshops, stores, offices, a showroom, and a bowling green. The buildings in Anzac Avenue officially opened on 24 May 1944.
In 1969, the government requested the reorganisation of the League. Renamed the Disabled Re-establishment League, it became responsible for the vocational assessment and rehabilitation of all people with disability. Sheltered workshops disappeared and funding for rehabilitation programmes came from Government.
The organisation was again renamed in 1974, becoming Rehabilitation League NZ Inc.
As of 1975, the Dunedin centre comprised a staff of 60, including executive, professional, technical, supervisory, and trades personnel. The League provided full vocational assessments and aptitude tests. The remedial section provided physical education, reading, and basic education. For work experience there were facilities for printing, bookbinding, leatherwork, suitcase manufacturing, blind roller manufacturing, net making, radio-telephone operating, general assembly, umbrella manufacturing, cafeteria work, janitorial and store work, stock control, office work, horticulture, heavy manual work, metal pressing, and welding.
Most trainees were men but the number of women was gradually increased. The scope of the organisation expanded to others who were vocationally disadvantaged, including the recent school leavers and refugees.
The Anderson Report (1984) led to Government reform of rehabilitation services, with a shift towards training and support in the mainstream workforce. It was resolved that assessment services should be separate from training. Most of the old League operations were phased out and what remained was restructured as Workbridge, a workplace brokerage service responsible for ensuring the availability of support and training for people with intellectual and physical disability. The workshops were shut down. Dunedin’s closed on 31 August 1990 with 43 staff losing their jobs, and six others appointed to positions in the new structure.
Rehabilitation League NZ Incorporated, Dunedin Branch, Rehabilitation League NZ Inc., Dunedin Branch : Records (1938-1990). Hocken Digital Collections, accessed 20/03/2026, https://hocken.recollect.co.nz/nodes/view/70479





